Monday, April 23, 2007

Five-Way Cincinnati Chili

I normally eat Chili 2-4 times a week. I have 4 or 5 recipes I switch off with and I am still working on one that I want to enter in Chili Cook-offs once I get it the way I want it. This is one of the recipes we switch off with.

Ingredients:

1 ½ pounds ground beef
1 medium onion finely chopped
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 can (28 0z.) Italian plum tomatoes
1 cup water
8 ounces vermicelli*, cooked
1 can (15 ¼ ounces) red kidney beans, heated (optional)
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 ounces Cheddar Cheese, finely grated

Instructions:

Cook ground beef with medium onion and garlic in Dutch Oven over medium high heat until beef loses its pink color.

Pour off drippings. Stir in chili powder, cocoa, dry mustard, cumin, paprika, salt, red and black pepper, allspice, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, tomatoes and water.

Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.

Prepare Vermicelli as directed on package. *Thin spaghetti may be substituted for vermicelli.

To assemble chili, layer the following ingredients:
Vermicelli, beans, chili mixture, finely chopped onion and cheese

Note: To serve Four-Way Cincinnati Chili, layer vermicelli, the chili mixture, onion and cheese; to serve Three-Way Cincinnati Chili, layer vermicelli, chili mixture and cheese.

Since I don’t care for the beans in this type of chili we skip the beans and make the Four-Way.

Mona and I always make at least a double batch of this Chili when we make it. That leaves enough leftovers to make individual servings and throw them in the freezer to take to work for lunch. Depending on what our taste buds are hungry for when we make this, (doubling the batch again) instead of 4 tablespoons of regular chili powder, we’ll use 3 tablespoons of regular chili powder and 1 tablespoon of “Extra Hot” chili powder. It gives it a completely different flavor. (There are other times we’ll double up on the “Extra Hot” but I guess I’m getting past that macho stuff and looking for good spicy flavor.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if I have enough cupboard space for all these spaces. I am also a chili lover!!! Eunice

Unknown said...

Hey guys! I finally found your blog and you don't have the Washington Inn on here???? What is that all about? haha. Nice recipe. I think you made up my mind on what I will bring up North for Memorial Weekend! I'll let you know how it is! Take care!

Dawn from the INN!